Friday, June 16, 2006

 

Chapter 14C-Making Plans

“What I don’t understand”, he told Rafe. “Is my uncle never told me about any of the stuff Sarah’s dad told me about. He didn’t tell me anything about the sanctuary program either and he must have known quite a bit about it. All he did was give me a letter from my parents and a ticket to Heliopolis.


He didn’t want me to go to Old Seattle like the letter said. He said no one lived there anymore. I had to change the ticket myself at the last minute. I felt I “needed” to go to Old Seattle first and do what the letter told me to. That’s where I met Sarah and her father."



“My uncle said the same thing about Howling Wolf, that he wasn’t alive anymore. I need to go back Rafe. I need to check it out and find out anything I can about my parents. That place is haunted and something doesn’t feel right. The Lord and Lady keep telling me that I need to go there.”



Rafe was startled, “The Lord and Lady? They talk to you and tell you to go to the lake?”



“Well they don’t really talk to me”, he said. “It’s more like they put thoughts in my head and my heart. It’s like they are guiding me or something.”



Rafe ran a hand through his touselled hair with a worried look on his face. “This is too much man! I’ve got to think about this awhile. I never heard of the Lord and Lady talking to anyone except the High Priest and High Priestess. The rest of what you said is just crazy. If I didn’t know you, I would say you were making the whole thing up.”


 His eyes searched Tobal’s and probed deeply with no hint of his grin. “But you’re not making it up are you?”



“No”, Tobal answered quietly.



Rafe sighed in frustration, “I didn’t think so.” He rubbed his hair again. “Promise me you won’t go there until we talk about this again, ok? It might be dangerous and we have to be careful.”



“I’ll talk to you at circle next month then”, Tobal said. “I need to go back there before it gets snowed in.”



He left Rafe and went back to watch the other initiations. There were five initiations this month. Sarah was going to be initiated with Melanie’s newbie, Butch and Becca’s newbie, Mike. There were two others Tobal didn’t know. It was going to be a long night at circle again.


 
Tobal couldn’t stop the thoughts running through his head. He looked around the circle at some of the others he knew. Char was watching her newbie get initiatied. Apparently Char and Wayne had broken up. Tobal looked around and didn’t see Wayne at circle and wondered if he was at sanctuary waiting for his own newbie.



It was late after the initiations when he finally caught up with Melanie and told her about his plan. He was relieved when she seemed to like it



“That’s a good idea”, she told him. “This past month was hard for me and I don’t think Butch is ready for winter yet. I don’t even know if I am. I didn’t want to tell you but I am a bit worried. We didn’t do a lot of winter stuff when you trained me and food is getting harder to come by. I know how to make snow shoes and winter clothing in theory but it’s a lot different in real life.”



“I’m pretty much the same way”, he told her. “Rafe taught me at the end of winter when we really didn’t need anything. I made some things then and they’ve been sitting at Rafe’s ever since. I need to stop by there and pick some of that stuff up to help me remember. That’s why I thought maybe a bunch of us could get ready for winter together. I was going to ask Nick too if that is alright with you.”



“Sure”, she said. “Maybe we can have Becca and Mike over too. I know she was having the same troubles because I talked with her earlier this morning and she was worried about Mike too. She was thinking she might have to hole up for the winter with him before he gets a chance to solo because he wouldn’t be ready to survive a real blizzard yet.”



“Well, I hadn’t really thought about anyone but you, Butch, Nick, and Sarah”, he replied. He really wasn’t keen on the idea of having Becca around that much. It was  uncomfortable for him and her presence always seemed to prevent his thoughts from going where they should.



“Oh, please!”, she pleaded. “Becca really likes you. You should get to know her a little better and give her a chance. It would be fun!”



Tobal felt his face getting red. “I’ll see what Nick has to say first. He should have a say in this too.”



“Ok, maybe I’ll talk to him too”, she smiled and gave him a big hug and a kiss. “You are so nice to all of us.”



Tobal didn’t feel so nice. In fact he was hoping he could talk Nick into saying seven people would be too many. Still he couldn’t help feeling a little guilty as he searched around the camp looking for Nick. He didn’t see him or Tara either. Not knowing what else to do he went over to the beer barrel for a brew.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Check out OAK:A Modern Mystery SchoolOAK:Foundations-a serialadventure


Powered by Qumana



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?